Sunday, October 4, 2009
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
anyway, this video(<--click) cracked me right the F up...talking with the peons on the UC Berkeley campus. kind of worrying, actually.
another useful set of videos can be found HERE, debunking the 'Story of Stuff' video that's been traversing the 'net. check it out, and educate yourself, rather than being indoctrinated.
I'm off to BS for a bit longer, then get dressed, eat something, and buckle down.
be sure to check out that second link!
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Friday, September 18, 2009
anyway, I tend to drink my tea with lots of Splenda; no milk, no lemon. and I can drink cup after cup, all day long. it's a 5-to-10 cup-a-day habit, probably the only good, healthy habit I have right now, haha!
today, I'm feeling a bit...listless...dreamy...disjointed and discombobulated. so, it's time for a list, where I don't have to think; just type. it's a rather long list, but here are my favorite teas(the aforementioned top-of-the-microwave teas):
- Honeybush Vanilla: an herbal tea with marigold blossoms.
- Formosa Nut Oolong: comprised of apples, pistachios, and almonds.
- Haute Chocolate: an rooibos with cocoa nibs, ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon.
- Zingiber Ginger Coconut: another rooibos, with coconut chips, ginger, cinnamon, apple, cardamom, black pepper, and almonds.
- Earl Grey White Tea: one of my favorites; infused with bergamot oil, and sprinkled with blue cornflower petals.
- Sweet Lily White Tea: with apples, lemongrass, green cardamom, roses, and marigolds.
- Rooibos Toffee: with hazelnut/sugar brittle bits, white cocoa butter, and cocoa kernels.
- Lavender Dreams: a white tea with lavender flowers and candied violets.
- Silver Needle: a rather pricey white tea comprised of pure, high quality white tea buds.
- Yin Yang Dragon: a rooibos flavored with candied pineapple, mango, and papaya; cocoa bits, pink and bruised pepper, sunflower, cornflower, and mallow flower blossoms, rosebuds, and cranberries.
- Tranquil Dream: an herbal tea with chamomile, hibiscus, orange blossoms, lemongrass, mint, citrus peels, and rosehips.
- ChocoNut Green Tea: with almonds, white chocolate bits, macadamia and pistachio nuts, and cocoa bits.
- Swiss Vervaine Melange: an herbal tea with apple, carrot, orange peel, ginger bits, marshmallow leaves, peppermint, candied papaya, rosebuds, raisins, mallow blossoms, passion flower petals, and peach bits.
- Sweet Oolong Revolution: with pumpkin pieces, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, candied papaya, nutmeg, and rose petals.
- Emerald Bamboo Forest: a white tea with bamboo leaves, apple and carrot bits, raisins, beetroot, candied pineapple and papaya, and lemon peels.
sorry, for those of you who hate lists...but I love these teas. mixing and matching, enjoying a hot cup before bed, along with a honey-flax crisp or fig-and-walnut cracker...*sigh*
tomorrow, we're off to the in-laws', for J's mother's birthday. today, I relax, and then ride my bike to the mall to fill out any job applications I can get my hands on!
Thursday, September 17, 2009
woke up, and have been busy catching up on the news...next up:
- clean the dishes. turn the dishwasher on.
- clean the kitchen counters.
- scoop all 3 litterboxes.
- take out the trash.
- vacuum(again?! I just did that, 2 days ago!)
- ride my bike out to Whole Foods for 'lunch'/Circle K for a cigar(I know, I know. I'm working on quitting!)
and somewhere in the midst of all of that, I need to do my hair and get dressed. argh. >.<
well, I'll have to come back later to update and whatnot.
well, everything's done except for the vacuuming...decided against Whole Foods in favor of some grocery shopping at Fresh & Easy:
- bean sprouts
- light popcorn
- Mrs. Dash
- 0cal vitamin water
- ahi tuna
enjoyed some of that ahi tuna, topped with red onions, jalapenos, Bragg's, and wasabi, along with a salad comprised of bean sprouts, diced beets, red onions, sprouted mung beans, fresh dill, wasabi, lime juice, Bragg's, and rice vinegar, with some hot sake to wash it all down...
still have to head out and fill out a few job apps, once it cools down a bit...
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
so, here are the rules for getting back to sleep in my apartment:
- go to the bathroom. a full bladder does not a restful sleep make. sorry if that's TMI, but it's true.
- FEED THE DAMN CATS. otherwise, be prepared for long, drawn-out yowls from Severus. because he's annoying like that.
- climb up on top of J's computer desk, armed with heavy-duty duct tape and a fleecy, grey blanket. and tape that sucker over the window, being sure to cover both top corners, with a strip of tape loosely holding up the upper-middle portion.
- after that, be sure that the floor fan is on 'high', and facing toward the bed, and check to make sure that the A/C is set firmly at 65 degrees.
it's around that time that I climb back into bed, turn on 'Spirited Away' on my laptop, and play a few games of Scrabble on my ipod, until I'm finally cold enough and sleepy enough that I can cuddle under the covers and sleep like a baby(who happens to be dreaming about zombies--see, I had a use for that title, after all!).
anyway, that kind of brings me to my next point: Scrabble.
I am a Scrabble genius. there's no room for debate there, and no point to telling me how hubristic I am. I.am.brilliant.
I downloaded the Scrabble app. for my ipod on...(runs to check itunes)...May 2, 2009. since then, I have played 1,081 games, and have won 91% of those(for those doing frantic math in their heads--likely, no one--that's 983 games won).
one of these days, I'm going to post an ad on Craigslist for a 'Scrabble Night' and actually respond to peoples' emails regarding the ad...yea, I kind of dropped the ball last time LOL.
on to politics: has anyone heard what former President Carter has been spouting? *shakes head*...here's the article:
obviously Carter, like many people(black and white) of his generation, is not taking into account the myriad intelligent people(black and white) who do not support much of what President Obama is doing. I've said it before and I'll say it again: opposing the decisions of the president does not make you a racist.
but, Carter, like many people I know, comes from a generation where attitiudes toward black people was based largely upon race. it's different nowadays, but that generation cannot understand that, unfortunately.
anyway, time to straighten up the house, get spiffy, and eat something, maybe.
so, the other day at the supermarket, I came across these adorable baby cauliflower(s?), and bought them on a whim.
tonight, I boiled them in some salt water for 4 minutes(until they were tender), and then transferred them to a saute pan, where I added some chopped red onions, fresh lime juice and lemon juice, minced garlic, fresh dill, fresh chopped salsa, Bragg's Liquid Aminos, dried basil, garlic pepper, powdered ginger, and a bit of cumin...fantastic!
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Anyway, this past weekend was tolerable. Nice, even. Friday night was comprised of wine and baba ghanouj at La Bocca, and $4.50(!) Jack-and-Diet-Cokes at Yucca Tap Room(whilst surrounded by indie scenester clones). on Saturday, we headed to Malee's Thai Bistro, in old town Scottsdale. the rule here is: order anything with curry, and you're set. unfortunately, I bypassed that rule and ordered a salad which was supposed to come with edamame and rice noodles, but instead was composed of largely wilted lettuce and slimy 'grilled chicken'. disgusting. sent it back, and opted for some (extremely bland) mussels and a side of steamed veggies(which happened to be the best 'dish' I ordered, once I added some of the curry from J's duck dish).
and, on Sunday, we dropped our laundry off at J's parents' house and saw '9', which turned out to be pretty darn good, if a teensy bit anticlimactic.
yesterday was a day of progress. we cleaned the house together--dishes, kitchen, bathroom, vacuuming, all 3 litterboxes, garbage--and then went out and bought my bike(a totally fantastic slate-silver Raleigh hybrid--pictures soon!) and dropped off several job applications(crossing my fingers for a kennel tech position at the local veterinary hospital!).
ah, well...my bike and I are off to Whole Foods for lunch, and Starbucks for my tall-decaf-no whip-cinnamon dulce-iced-Americano!
Severus Albus Leela